Cardiothoracic Surgeon in Long Beach CA
Heart and Chest Specialists
Dr. Daniel Bethencourt specializes in Robotic & Minimally Invasive Cardiac & Thoracic surgical procedures as well as complex cardiac surgery using traditional approaches. Dr. Bethencourt, is a board-certified surgeon, with offices in Long Beach & Fountain Valley California, have extensive clinical and academic experience in providing comprehensive, state-of-the-art and compassionate surgical care for patients with diseases and conditions affecting the heart and chest. The Bethencourt Group is affiliated with MemorialCare Health System.
Meet Our Surgeon
Specializing in Complex Cardiac & Thoracic Surgery
We are dedicated to providing highly-focused and exceptionally skilled surgical care to patients requiring cardiac or thoracic surgery. Our team routinely provides comprehensive surgical care to patients of all ages and wherever possible, uses minimally invasive techniques for improved outcomes.
The Bethencourt Group does not engage in “bait & switch” practices. Over 98% of Isolated Mitral Valves can be repaired via robot assist, regardless of the complexity of the repair needed. Over 90% of Isolated Aortic Valves can be replaced using minimally invasive surgical techniques. See our “results” page.
Having performed over 800 surgeries using da Vinci ® surgical system, The Bethencourt Group are leaders in robot-assisted cardiac & thoracic surgery.
Some surgical procedures performed by Dr. Bethencourt using the da Vinci® surgical system include: mitral valve repair or replacement, coronary artery bypass, lung biopsy or lobectomy & MAZE procedure for AFib. For a list of more robot-assisted procedures performed by Dr. Bethencourt, visit our services page.
Minimally Invasive Procedures
Dr. Bethencourt is skilled in using other minimally invasive techniques such as a thoracoscopic, mini-thoracotomy (approx. a 2 inch incision), and endovascular surgery.
Some surgical procedures using the Minimally Invasive techniques include: aortic valve replacement via mini-thoracotomy or transcatheter (TAVR/TAVI), tricuspid valve repair or replacement, & thoracic aneurysm repair (TEVAR), pectus excavatum repair & lung biopsy or lobectomy. For a list of more minimally invasive procedures performed by our practice, visit our services page.
Other Complex Procedures
Dr. Bethencourt is also highly skilled in other complex cardiac & thoracic procedures using traditional approaches when the minimally invasive or robot-assisted surgery is not an option.
Some of the surgical procedures performed via traditional approaches include ascending aortic aneurysm repair (Bental or David Procedure), repair of aortic dissection, aortic valve replacement using homograft, pulmonary valve replacement, coronary artery bypass, & surgery for multiple heart conditions, including congenital defects. For a list of more complex surgeries performed by our practice, visit our services page.
Bethencourt Group – Recognized Leaders
- Leadership. Our highly skilled Robotic & Minimally Invasive Specialist is a leader in using surgical techniques that minimize pain, infections, hospital stay, and helps patients get back to their normal lifestyle quickly.
- Experience. Our Robotic & Minimally Invasive Specialist has been performing cardiac and thoracic surgery which includes many complex procedures not performed by surgeons in surrounding areas. Where ever possible Dr. Bethencourt uses the da Vinci® robot or other minimally invasive techniques. You can see The Bethencourt Group’s surgical results for robotic and open heart
- da Vinci® Robot Heart Center. Having the experience of having performed hundreds of procedures using the da Vinci ® robot since its conception in 2006, we have become a teaching center for da Vinci® heart surgery techniques.
- Minimally Invasive State-of-the-Art-Technology. We use advanced minimally invasive approaches where ever possible, which includes the use da Vinci® Robotic instruments for greater accuracy, improved outcomes and faster recoveries.
- Training. Dr. Bethencourt have completed top-notch residency training in cardiac and thoracic surgery at the leading medical schools in the country and continually participate in advanced training in minimally invasive and other state-of-the-art techniques.
- International Recognition. Surgical groups from all over the world have visited our surgical programs to observe procedures and we have frequently been asked to speak at national and international meetings on topics such as Robot Assisted Mitral Valve Repair using da Vinci® robot and Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Replacement.